Blog featuring Willow Books Poetry authors and their works

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Antoinette Brim's Guest Blog, "In the fullness of time – On Writing with (in spite of/around/in between) Children"

I can barely hear her. I am eager to hear every word she might say, but the children – my youngest son, my only daughter, and her best friend are singing along with Sponge Bob and Plankton at the top of their lungs. I am still straining to hear her, even as I entreat the children to be quiet. But, they playfully ignore me and continue singing. I am not angry because no one is whining that their inalienable right to respect as the oldest/youngest/keeper of the Corn Pops/Custodian of the Cinnamon Toast Crunch has been violated. These are happy sounds and I’ll take them.

And I’ll take this call here in front of my computer because we are talking about my book - searching it for errors, lest any make it through to the final printing. Hers are one of the seven sets of eyes that are proofreading and challenging punctuation and word order to the very end. I am eager to see my words through her eyes. I’ve looked at this manuscript for seven years now and it is easy to see past the words on the page, to miss what I’ve written because I know the back-story.

Read the rest of my blog at: http://renee-writinginreallife.blogspot.com/2009/07/guest-blog-in-fullness-of-time.html, where I am guest blogging for writer, Renee Simms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive